“To more than 155 residents, from 65 to over 100 years old, Junior Joy Givers have been of immeasurable benefit. If we could have Junior Joy Givers here every week, it would be the ideal for providing joy and inspiration for all.”
Richard Kennedy, Former Executive Director- Brookdale Senior Living
Junior Joy Giver volunteer training uses principles and approaches developed by professional music therapists, including use of drumming, marimba, music-making, QChord, singing, and tone chimes. Self-growth opportunities include performing and leading a group. Junior Joy Giver training is free of charge to volunteers, with the expectation that graduates will apply the musical skills they acquire to visit older adults in their communities.
- Between the ages of 6 and 18
- Able to complete all required Joy Giver training
- Able to volunteer one Saturday per month (3 hours each) for at least 1 year
- Passionate about providing social / musical visits to older adult populations
- Supportive and eager to share comfort and joy through music